1.25.2015

An eternal Game 2 for Ernie

I had one of those time-pausing, heart-sinking moments Friday night when I saw one of the first tweets to break the news of Ernie Bank's death. ...

As a lifelong Cubs fan, I'm almost ashamed to admit he wasn't one of my childhood favorites, since he retired and was inducted into the Hall of Fame years before I was born -- as a kid, Ryne Sandberg was my guy on the Cubs. And I never read as much about him or watched old footage of him like I did of the other greats of his playing era. Like Roberto Clemente, Ted Williams or Hank Aaron. ... I didn't know he had played for the Kansas City Monarchs until I read his obituary.

I only saw him in person once or twice, from a distance, in all of my annual pilgrimages to Wrigley Field. But I was always aware of the aura of "Mr. Cub, and his "Let's play two" optimism. The New York Times' obit is an especially good read.

As a long-time Cubs fan, this cartoon is perfect ...

Mr. Cub Cartoon

Good reads ...

No comments: